Could you live in a tiny house?

Published December 6, 2014   Posted in Having some fun

Let’s have a little fun this weekend and talk about living in a tiny house.  Tiny homes are not simply “small homes”.  Tiny homes are complete homes meant for a family to live in that, in many cases, can be transported on the back of a trailer and plopped down almost anywhere in the world.  Square footage?  Between 80 and upwards of a 1000 or more.

Picture of a Tiny HomeLiterally, these homes allow the resident to pick up and move, almost at a moment’s notice, to virtually anywhere in the world.  You might say this is minimalist living, but some of these tiny homes come with quite a few luxuries despite their relatively small stature.

Tiny homes can be bought pre-assembled through companies like Tumbleweed Houses, Wind River Custom Homes and so many others.  Or, for those of us who are more DIY-inclined, blueprints can be bought by the homeowner through services like ePlans.com or TinyHouseBuild.com.  There are a wide variety of resources online to obtain free or low-cost blueprints and designs for tiny homes.  Try this Google search for a few options.

Tiny Home pictures

Most tiny homes come equipped with fully functional kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms.  Larger tiny homes may offer an upper level loft for a second (or primary) bedroom away from the living area downstairs. Nicer tiny home options may offer screened in decks or porches.

The architectural choices are plenty.  Like the A-Frame look?  No problem, tiny homes can be built in almost any configuration, using a variety of architectural designs, colors and concepts.

What about the cost?  Depending on the type of tiny home you get, and whether or not you build it yourself, tiny homes can be built for as little as 10 or 15-thousand for the smallest homes to hundreds of thousands for larger, commercial-built options.  This woman built her 84-sqft home for $10k when prices were cheap.  But yeah, only 84-sqft.

Folding shower for a tiny homeWhat about modern conveniences like running water, showers, sinks and toilets?  Provided that your spot of land has water and sewer services, any tiny home with the available space can offer regular “wet area” features just like a traditional home does.  Check out the folding shower to the right that looks like it comes straight out of Star Trek.

And electricity?  No problem, tiny homes can be wired up with the same electrical capacity as your home.  More or less, if your spot of land is fully connected to “the grid”, then your tiny home can be built to take advantage of modern conveniences in almost every case.

Again, many tiny homes aren’t so minimalist.  Many come with nicer kitchens than you’d find in your typical traditional house.  Granite or concrete countertops, tile floors, closets, book shelves – anything you might need.

The only difference is these homes are small enough to be hoisted up on the back of a trailer and hauled off to some other spot on earth.

Could you live in a tiny house?

Comments

16 responses to “Could you live in a tiny house?”

1. Zambian Lady says:

I don’t think I have ever seen a tiny house and in my mind, so I don’t know if I can ever live in one. It just seems like a foreign concept for me.

2. Steve,

I love the concept. I’m not sure if I could do 100 square feet, but I think I’d feel pretty comfortable in 400 or so. I spend 99% of my time in the same small spaces in my 900 square-foot apartment: the bed, the couch, the dining room table. It’s not like these things need a lot of space between them.

However, I’m wondering why this lifestyle couldn’t be just as easily done with an RV for less money? Seems like you might be paying for design here? If you really wanted to live cheaply with a small space, I’d think a used RV would be the way to go. You’d be just as mobile, if not more so.

Best regards!

• My parents lived in an RV for 12 years before finally buying a house. I think the advantage of a tiny house is you can build it yourself if you’re a DIY-er, and you may be able to get a little more for your money. Some of those upgraded fixtures I’ve seen in tiny homes would significantly up the price in RVs.

That said, RVs would be even easier to move, literally at a moment’s notice. 🙂

3. Allan says:

I like these small houses. Living in one would force me to live a little more outside. 🙂 And, in fact, we only need a shelter at night and when the weather is bad. I would probably find them a little too small during winter times here in Quebec though.

Cheers

4. My partner and I have considered it. Sometimes we feel like we’re already in a tiny home, because a minority of the sq. ft. in our small apt. get used for the majority of our daily lives. We probably would need close to 300-400 to be able to function the way we want.

It probably would take some getting used to, but I’m sure once you start living in that kind of space for a while, things will get easier and easier to handle. It’s actually quite amazing how creative and efficient you can get – when you feel like you need to.

Thanks for dropping by!

5. Heather says:

Thanks , I have just been looking for info about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have came upon so far.
    However, what concerning the bottom line? Are
    you sure about the source?

6. Joe says:

Yes, of course! My wife and I have been living in a 5th wheel RV for almost 2 years and we love it. The key is how much of a great use of space these (and tiny homes) implement.

EVERY person we’ve invited over to our house for a party/dinner has really enjoyed it and they always talk about how surprisingly spacious it is. We have an open floor plan and the ceiling is pretty high (it doesn’t feel like you have to squat all over our house) and there is storage everywhere! If you can maximize space properly unlike most homes which waste it, it’s incredibly easy to live in a tiny home.

We use 100% of our house every day and we wouldn’t have it any other. It is also one of the key factors that allow us to live off of ~18K/year ;).

That’s awesome, Joe! As you know, the wife and I will be moving into an RV full time in another year or so. If you’d have any interest in letting me do a story on you guys and how you effectively use space, give me a shout on my Contact page.

7. Absolutely could, there’s less to maintain! I live in a small manufactured home now.

Absolutely! I’m looking forward to the day where “cleaning the house” is a 15-minute chore, not a couple of hours. Our RV won’t take long to clean…at least on the inside! 🙂

8. I don’t think I could live in a tiny home now that we have kids, but maybe before that. I love the innovative design and efficiency of the tiny homes. Very fun to look at, but not for me at this stage of life. We do camp with our kids but that’s as close as we’ll get any time soon.

I agree, some of the storage and design features of small/tiny homes that I’ve seen are downright amazing. It’s impressive what some people manage to organize and keep into relatively tiny spaces.