Get ready Big Apple, here we come!

Published September 2, 2015   Posted in Having some fun

I might be the only person left who has never been to New York City.  This year, we are going to fix that.  Courtney and I are spending the next week in New York to take in the sights and experience a little of the Big Apple, first hand.

The real reason we’re taking the cross country trip is for a family wedding on Long Island.  But after hoofing it out there, we might as well spend some time to see the area.  After all, I’ve never been.

And yes, my camera is definitely coming with me, and you might find a photo-laced post about our adventures in New York after we return over on our exploration blog: FullTimeExplorers.com.  Or, follow us along the way from our Instagram account.  Yay, photography!

Fear not, I’ve got an epic blog series coming your way!

The last thing that I want to do is leave you good people with nothing to read, so I took the time over the last month to craft up a 4-part blog series, called “Our Next Life”, that pretty much puts all our shit out on the table for consideration and ridicule.  Meaning, our plan to quit our jobs and move into our new [very mobile] lifestyle is all detailed to the best of my ability.

Coincidently, the name of the series happens to match the name of one of our favorite blogs, OurNextLife.com.  This is purely coincidental, but also adds a nice little element to this whole thing.

Until our return, enjoy the blog series, and please, don’t do anything that I wouldn’t do.

New York City

Comments

19 responses to “Get ready Big Apple, here we come!”

1. Jason says:

Have fun. The ironic thing is that I live 3 hours from NYC and I have only visited once. We can take the bus here for really cheap and I can spend the day there, but for whatever reason we don’t. Have fun I will live vicariously through you.

Ha! Thanks Jason. It is interesting that when we live near a fairly major landmark, so many of us never choose to go, or at the very least, only experience it a couple times. I lived near Washington D.C. for 10 non-consecutive years in an earlier life and rarely went into D.C. Maybe once a year, max.

2. I also have never been, and I was born in New York (state)! I’m not much for crowds and expensive things but if I had a wedding to go to I’d check it out, too.

I’m like you, Bryan. I hate crowds and busy areas, but hey, since we’re out there anyway, might as well check it out. And, I don’t get the opportunity to do much in the way of city photography, so this’ll give me another opportunity to expand my city portfolio a bit.

3. Vawt says:

New York is really an amazing place. It is full of energy all of the time, a bit stinky, and over the top all at once. I really enjoyed the museums more than I thought I would and the statue of liberty is kind of a let down when you actually get out to the island (but fun to climb). Enjoy the trip!

4. Looking forward to reading “Our Next Life”! 🙂

Have an awesome time, you guys. We looooooooovvvvve New York, and would advise skipping the big tourist sites and just giving yourselves lots of time to explore and soak it all in. And get as much pizza as you can!

I’m not a big fan of pizza, but I know that I’ll probably have to try some while I’m out there. That, or one of the many yummy delis. I’m looking forward to it for sure. 🙂

• Stockbeard says:

I loooove Pizza, and my health hates me for that. I just read somewhere that New Yorkers have a higher risk of heart diseases than the rest of the US population, wondering if this could be related 🙂

Hehe, yeah – pizza is one of those “eh” things for me. I can eat it, but it’s definitely not something that I actively seek out. But while I’m here, I suppose I gotta try it. 🙂

5. I’m away on vaca from 9/5 to 9/12, but let me know if trip intersects at all with me being in the city! Otherwise enjoy NYC. Also please avoid these common tourist pitfalls:

1) If you’re walking slow or taking pictures… stay the F out of the middle of the sidewalk,
    2) Don’t get mad when I walk in front of you taking a picture, and
    3) Eat street meat at your own discretion.

Have fun 🙂

Aww, crap – we will be in Long Island on the 4th and in NYC proper not until the 7th and 8th, so it looks like we will miss you.

Appreciate the tips. I usually don’t have a problem staying out of people’s way, so I’m hopeful that #1 and #2 won’t be a problem! As for #3, yeah, we’ll probably drop into a deli or pizza place here and there.

Should be fun! 🙂

6. Maggie says:

Have a blast! And I can’t wait to ridicule all of your future posts! 🙂 Just kidding. I can’t wait to hear your detailed dreams!

7. Erin says:

Safe travels to NYC! I’ve never been either but it is definitely on my list of places to visit.
    I’m really looking forward to this new epic blog series. I just stumbled upon your blog last night and I’ve been hooked! I look forward to reading more!

Thanks Erin! So far, so good – then again, staying on the beach on Long Island certainly does make this whole experience all that much nicer. Thanks for stopping by! Appreciate your readership. 🙂

Sounds like a great trip, and looking forward to the blog series. In the meantime, I’ll just think, and save, and retire… 🙂

9. Chris Muller says:

Have fun in NYC! And, to quote Elf, don’t eat gum off the streets – it’s not candy! I am really looking forward to reading your series on [Your] Next Life as well – sounds awesome.

Any frugal activities lined up other than the wedding? If you’re interested, one of the most kick ass vegan chefs, Chloe Coscarelli, just opened a vegan bakery and restaurant in NYC. If you get a chance to check it out let me know, we are dying to go!

Ha! Thanks Chris. Not sure about activities in general yet. We are spending the majority of our time on Long Island, then going into the city for a couple days. We’re planning on visiting B&H Photo, then taking the Highline walk in NYC. Other than that, nothing is planned – we like to play things by ear. 🙂

Will keep that place in mind for sure. Appreciate the recommendation.