The Friday Feast ~ the 13th of November

Published November 13, 2015   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and truly inspiring people and families who want something much different in life than the traditional plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in their 60s. ย Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Seeking Saturdays, Our Next Life, How To Get Rich Slowly, The Simple Dollar, Just One More Year, Money Mozart, Young Adult Money, Frugal Woods, Cash Cow Couple and Unplanned Finance.

readingUh oh – it’s Friday the 13th. Let the superstitions run wild, my frugal friends! Stay safe, watch your back, and try not to visit Camp Crystal Lake. ย ๐Ÿ™‚

First, a special thanks to Business Insider for picking up my story and running it on Wednesday. Totally cool. Appreciate the shout out!

On Monday, Seeking Saturdays wrote an interesting post about upping his investment contributions to 100% for the remainder of the year, effectively taking home no paycheck. It’s bold. ย I like it!

And for the second week in a row, my friends over at Our Next Life made the Feast with a thought-provoking article about the 10 questions you need to ask yourself before retiring early. Define your purpose in life, then figure out how to get yourself there.

How To Get Rich Slowly‘s Laura Cowan might also suggest thatย you expand your circle of competence – because it will make you a smarter person. Hey, Warren Buffett did it!

Last week, I talked about HSAs and how to take advantage of them. But, Matt Becker from The Simple Dollar wrote one of the most clear and concise arguments in favor of the Health Savings Account that I’ve ever read.

I love reading about people who are just inches away from accomplishing their financial goals, and my Arizona blogging buddy from Just One More Year is certainly no exception. In four months he’ll be completely debt free, and then, the REAL fun begins – when to retire! Just one more year? Yup, that sounds pretty good right now.

Speaking of sounding good, ever heard of dopamine? That chemical that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Chris over at Money Mozart talked about how that happy chemical can drain our pocketbooks and offered four ways to prevent that leaky wallet.

And lastly, Young Adult Money published an article about anย interesting technique to “level up” your financial lifeย by turning your money goals into a game, complete with rewards, challenges and mid-air twists and contortions!

Honorable mentions:ย Frugal Woods talked about the fine line between taking action and surrendering control, Cash Cow Couple talks credit card hacking and a story from Unplanned Finance about a husband who wants to earn at least as much money as his wife.

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire:ย It’s the blog’s one-year anniversary, baby! On Monday, we will take a look at how far this little blog has come in a year, and on Wednesday, I am taking a stab at writing my “I Quit!” letter to my boss. Warning, I may have ranted a little bit in the letter. Maybe.

Also, stay tuned in December when I chronicle a guy’s epic 2,200 mile hike that completely changed his perspective on life, turning him and his wife into future early retirees!

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

35 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 13th of November”

1. Congrats Steve on getting picked up by Business Insider. That’s so awesome!!

I also enjoyed Chris’ article on how to avoid the DIIP (dopamine-induced-impulsive-purchase) over at Money Mozart.

Looks like I have even more to read though. Thanks for the great roundup!

Thanks Michael, appreciate the comment! Yup, lots of good material in the personal finance world this week. Seems like every week, bloggers are putting out gems! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. I think one of the things I love most about the pf online community is that everyone’s take is a little different: everyone has a different philosophy, different goals, and a different writing style, and what you get as a result is a pretty cool variety of posts and some great conversations. I feel really lucky to have stumbled upon this community earlier this year. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Sarah – I completely agree, the different perspectives that we get to read about every week is definitely what makes this community great. And, the fact that we all support each other in our goals of financial independence and early retirement makes being a part of this whole group of people that much sweeter. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Candy says:

Thank you for the inspiring words about financial freedom!!
    Have a good weekend!!
    Candy

4. Jaime says:

I found your blog through DM’s comment section. It looks like you’re going through your own journey still and my favorite pf blogs are those by individuals. Anyway, congratulations on getting picked up by BI. =)

5. Tawcan says:

Congrats on being featured on Business Insider. That’s so awesome. Lots of great articles that you mentioned, gotta read them all. Have a great weekend Steve/

6. Congratulations on getting featured on Business Insider Steve!

Thanks for the shout out with our article discussing how we nearly reached our debt free goals. It is uncanny how your time frame and plans are so closely aligned with ours. Next year at this time we both will have something to celebrate!

We look forward to enjoying the best Mexican food in Phoenix with you and Courtney soon.

7. Thank you for taking the time to gather these articles. I know it is a lot of work. Appreciate it !!!!……..Steve

8. Stockbeard says:

Just saw your article on Business Insider, congrats ๐Ÿ™‚

And looking at the comments in that article, it seems the majority of the population is not ready to retire early yet. People just love their ignorance ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Stockbeard – Yeah, I like reading the comments though mainstream publications when the topic is early retirement. They are generally very negative and hateful, and it’s largely because so many out there oppose lifestyles that are different from their own.

It’s sad, really. But, thanks for reading!

9. Congrats on the Business Insider article! Your history sounds pretty much like me, except I spent my money on other useless things besides cars :).

Love the Friday Feast. It’s great having a big plate of the best of the PF web handed to me!

Thanks Miss GF – appreciate the words of encouragement! Keep yourself hungry towards the end of every week and I’ll keep trying to cook up something delicious for you to read! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Andrew says:

Congrats on the BI article. Self reflection is a hard thing to do for many. People often don’t like what they see, so they don’t look. Also a very solid list there, I read a few of them this week esp Our Next Life they have been killing it.

Thanks Andrew, I agree about self reflection being tough to do, especially when you interpret the writing of someone else to be “peaching” another way of life that you clearly did not choose. And yup, Our Next Life definitely has been killing it. One of my favorites!

• Aw, you guys. Maybe it’s because it’s Friday and I’m exhausted from work and travel, but you just made me get all choked up. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for that wonderful validation.

And THANK YOU Steve for putting together such a great list of informative reads every week. You do our community a great service!

11. Hannah says:

Thanks for the honorable mention ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Mr. Groovy says:

Hey Steve, Congrats on the Business Insider feature. Nice Feather in your cap! I’m looking forward to your anniversary post on Monday.

13. Laura Beth says:

What an honor to be included here! Thank you so much Steve. I’m at a loss for words.

14. Laura Beth says:

Love the Business Insider article!!

15. Thanks for the mention Steve!

Congratulations on the pickup from Business Insider! These Friday wrap-ups are fun to see what’s going on around the financial blogosphere. It’s great to see people planning their financial futures. Friday the 13th wasn’t so bad: Another day of work = more money for the future.

Morning Seeking Saturdays – appreciate the kind words. And I agree, that’s a good way to look at it. Another week of building up the stash to retire on a little later in life!

16. Chris Muller says:

As always, thanks for including me!

• Chris Muller says:

Ahh the rest of my comment got cut off. Totally happy for you that BI picked up your post – I love it! I have to say I read that post on Young Adult Money and I too loved it. Making goals a game is seriously a cool idea. Anyways – hope all is well!