The Friday Feast ~ the 15th of January

Published January 15, 2016   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s, if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Financially Integrated, Retire By 40, Peer Finance 101, Financial Samurai, Go Curry Cracker, Smart Money Guides, Our Next Life, Retirement Savvy, Coach Carson.

reading

Wow, it’s mid-month already – time flies when you’re [hopefully] having fun. So far in 2016, the stock market has been less than stellar, but our plans are still very much on track to achieve financial independence by the end of the year and start traveling full time!

Also, a special thanks to everyone for your well wishes on the new blog, The Power of 10. All of you people are unbelievably awesome. Oh yeah, and the Forbes interview that went public yesterday. That was pretty dope.

Now, onto the blogs!

Speaking of a stock market that has been less than stellar, Financially Integrated talked this week about his approach to managing the weirdness of it all. “It just so happens that current prices may actually be giving me a better opportunity to buy then what I have expected for this quarter.”

What would you do if you won the $1.5 billion jackpot? Retire By 40 took on that question in a blog post recently. Me? I would immediately invest a portion of it, earmark a sizable chunk for charity or other worthy causes, and yes, use some of it to have a little fun – can you say “Vacation to Fiji?!?”

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from Peer Finance 101, who asked us what we truly want: to “retire early” or to do what makes us happy without worrying about money?

More and more, I am realizing my true motivations are less about simply not having a job and more about doing what truly makes me happy, even if I’m not pulling in $100Gs a year while doing it. “It just means making money the easy way through something you enjoy and not having to worry about how much you make”.

My goal is to turn my “work” into a hobby – and love every minute of it. And remember, don’t let the retirement police bamboozle you into thinking that if you make money, you aren’t truly retired.

More from the personal finance community

Even if real estate plummets again, Financial Samurai isn’t worried one bit. “So much about achieving financial freedom is believing everything will be OK in the end while doing everything possible to improve the things you can control.”

Late last year, Go Curry Cracker taught us how to never pay taxes again by doing one very simple, yet profoundly life-changing, thing.

According to Smart Money Guides, creating wealth is as easy as 1, 2, 3. But, “Don’t fall for the con artists that sell you on getting rich tomorrow. If it was that easy, we all would be billionaires.”

Honorable mentions: Our Next Life interviewed the authors of “How To Retire Early”, Retirement Savvy gives us important tips on managing our credit history, and lastly, Coach Carson talks about how to transform your goals into reality this year.

I made this photograph on-board a sunset cruise just off shore during our family vacation to Key West, FL in late December. Check out our Key West article over on our companion blog, FullTimeExplorers.com!

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday, we’ll take a look at whether or not these “quick guides” to get rich are actually worth the time of day to read, and on Wednesday I’m launching into a pet peeve of mine by discussing the relationship between privilege and choice with financial independence.

Also, stay tuned in February for a look at someone who chose a very, very cold place to take a vacation, and what motivated her to do it.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

24 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 15th of January”

1. Great round up of posts! My morning reading plan is now set 🙂 Have a good weekend Steve!

2. Great round-up of posts! I’m really curious to hear your take on the Forbes feature and generally about being public with your names and your plans. Have you two been open with your co-workers, family, and friends about your FIRE goals?

Being public doesn’t bother me in the slightest. As you can probably tell from the blog, I’m a bit of an open book. It’s just my style. We don’t openly talk about our plans unsolicited with co-workers, but the majority of our family knows our plans. Many of our friends do as well. Those whom we associate with more often tend to know, while those whom we don’t get to talk to much probably aren’t aware.

Needless to say, we don’t pick and choose who knows. 🙂

• That’s a refreshing perspective. I think I’m coming around to being more open about our broader plans. I’ve never hesitated to share our travel goals with friends and family, but I’ve always kept the financial component of it to myself. With coworkers, I had never shared anything until putting in my notice, fearing that I had more to lose than to gain.

I can understand the inclination to keep most things relatively close to the vest. After all, you can never be too careful these days. I pretty much have the policy that I don’t openly disclose all this stuff unsolicited, but if the conversation naturally goes that way, or if someone specifically asks, that’s usually all the momentum that I need to open up the flood gates! 🙂

3. Congratulations on the feature in Forbes – that’s a really big deal! I loved your quote that the “less and less stuff you have, the happier you are.” The positivity of your approach to choosing your own lifestyle is outstanding. I sent a link to the feature to my 18 year old son.

i’m sure 2016 will go fast for you. My countdown is now 76 days … 🙂

4. Tawcan says:

Very cool to read about your interview on Forbes. Hopefully this will drive even more blog readership growth. It’s neat that you started yet another blog. I’m sure these blogs are keeping you busy. 🙂

Ha! Yup, the blogs definitely keep me busy, that’s for sure. We’ll have a good number of them once we start into our new lifestyle. It’ll be interesting to see how they turn out. 😉

5. Spoiler alert: In my experience no quick guides to getting rich are worth it. I’ll definitely be interested to read your take, though, and Wednesday’s post.

Oh by the way, I’m not sure whether you disclose your location on here (I’m a relatively new reader), so I’ll keep this vague. But I believe I heard you’re in the same state as me, based on comments from the Just One More Year blog.

If I’m right about your location, then I thought you’d be interested to know that we’re doing an area meet-up of PF bloggers. My mom (Donna Freedman, who used to write for MSN Money and still freelances quite a bit for other PF blogs) is coming into town next week, and she likes to have a few hours one day to chat with other area bloggers. It’s not in your town, so the commute might be a bit much for 3 hours’ conversation. But I thought I’d at least give you the heads up. You can email me for more details if you’re interested.

Hey Abigail! My schedule over the next couple of weeks is actually pretty hectic (we are getting our home ready for sale), so this probably isn’t the best time for me to escape town. But you’re right, we are both in the same wonderful state of Arizona. 🙂

6. John says:

I appreciate your work putting together this list each week. Always enjoyable reading!

John

7. Can’t wait to dive into these posts, Curry Cracker’s article about never paying taxes was the first thing i clicked while reading your article, glad i did!

Excited to see the very cold vacation destination!

8. I love this compilation of great posts in one place. And, congrats on Forbes and the new blog! There is nothing that keeps me more motivated than the great people and writing of this PF community. I know, for me, getting to the point of early retirement is part of the fun. I’m really not chasing early retirement; I’m chasing freedom. I want the option of retiring early. I also want the option of not retiring early. The freedom to choose will make all the difference.

Keep up the great work!
    Mrs. Mad Money Monster

You said it best, Mrs. MMM – it’s not about early retirement as much as it is the freedom to choose what you do with your time, ALL THE TIME. I like it!

9. Joseph Hogue says:

Thanks for the shout-out Steve! The post on retiring early is one of the most popular on PeerFinance101 and is something that has really changed my life. Like many people, I used to waste hours a day dreaming about early retirement before realizing that it wasn’t retirement I wanted but just a job that I enjoyed.

I work harder now than I ever did in the ‘rat race’ but love what I do and will be doing this for as long as I’m able. It feels great to have that kind of financial freedom!

Love the blog, keep it coming.

Thanks Joseph, appreciate the kind words. As far as I’m concerned, if you’re doing what you love and aren’t living paycheck to paycheck, how much more out of life can we really expect? Looks like you’re doing it right!

10. This is my first time coming to your website and your story is so inspiring. I really believe that true financial freedom is not to be filthy rich, but to be financially secure enough to take care of yourself while you do what makes you happy. Everyone’s definition is different and that’s fine with me.

Thanks Petrish, I completely agree. I definitely think that the freedom component of this whole early retirement business is the real goal that we’re trying to achieve. Simply “not working” doesn’t do it near the justice that it deserves.

11. Thanks for the mention! Looking forward to your Wednesday post on privilege and choice — that’s a hot button issue for us, so look forward to reading your take. Cheers!

I always appreciate your perspective on that issue – honestly, it’s a hot button for me too, and needed to get this topic off my chest in an article. 😉