The Friday Feast ~ the 6th of May

Published May 6, 2016   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Age of Happiness, Financial Samurai, Wallet Hacks, The Money Professors, Mom and Dad Money, MrFireStation, Plan Invest Escape, Our Next Life, Clever Girl Finance and DINKs Finance.

reading

Wow, it’s May already – for me that’s great because I am literally counting down the days until I officially retire from full-time work in December and get to finally control my life. My wife will be two months away from her retirement as well. Fly time, fly!

Hot damn, I think this is gonna work! Now, onto the business at hand…

In the blogosphere, Age of Happiness introduces us to a 70-year old woman who hasn’t spent a dime in the last 17 years.

And elsewhere, check out the thoroughly interesting post by Financial Samurai that takes a look at net worth levels by age group; you might be surprised at how low those numbers truly are.

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from Jim at Wallet Hacks who told us why he will never let his kids play The Game of Life.

“There are more than two paths [in life],” he wrote, and took issue with “money” being the main driving goal behind real life. “As I write this today, at 35 with two kids and barely into what I consider my “real adulthood,” money is a means to an end. I want enough to support our lives but so many things are ahead of money in importance.”

Do you remember playing The Game of Life? I do!

More from the personal finance community

The Money Professors chat with us about the pros and cons of putting your entire vacation on your credit card. Credit card points, anyone?

Don’t miss Mom and Dad Money‘s post that answers the question: How much does financial freedom cost? Matt also provides some tried and true methods to get there sooner.

Also this week, MrFireStation addresses the issue of whether every day is a weekend in early retirement. You might be surprised!

Lastly, Plan Invest Escape has decided on their epic escape date and talk a bit about why they chose their summer date. One big reason? A whopping 13 hours of combined commuting time to their full-time jobs every week!

BONUS: Check out this video of a guy who lives out in the desert and makes his living by picking up recyclables. Amazing.

Honorable mentions: Our Next Life talks about boredom after retirementClever Girl Finance gives us 5 ways to rebuild your horrible credit and lastly, DINKs Finance discusses ways to completely murder your credit. How fun!

I snapped this photo on-the-fly without looking through the viewfinder during our 2014 summer trip to Boston, MA. Came out decently!

On the streets of Boston, MA

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: I promised to be as honest as possible about how our new lifestyle is working for us, so on Monday I’m taking a look at the downside of living as small as we are (around 200 square feet). On Wednesday, I will take a look at my last year of full-time work and why I feel so damn confident about the future.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

17 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 6th of May”

1. Mrs. PIE says:

We always look forward to the Friday Feast to catch up on articles we missed and to direct us to blogs we don’t know about. And what an honor to be mentioned! Thanks for the shout out!

2. Thanks again for the Friday Feast! I missed many of these this week. I be sure to check them out.

3. Thank you for highlighting my post Steve! Appreciate it.

Hope your travels are going well!

Best, Sam

4. Jonathan says:

I’ve enjoyed both your words and your photography. What is your camera of choice, if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks Jonathan, appreciate the kind words. I formerly shot with Nikon equipment, but I recently switched over to Sony and now shoot with an A6000. Nice camera, very light weight and easy to carry around. It’s definitely not a perfect camera, but it’s awesome travel gear with such a small profile.

• Jonathan says:

Interesting! I have a Canon T3i, which I don’t use due to the whole size burden. I was actually considering the A6000 or A6300. Granted the latter is no bargain.

I’ve known quite a few people who shoot with a T3i – seems like a good and dependable camera. But my belief is the best camera *for you* is the camera that you will use…whatever it happens to be. If the T3i and the Canon line is just too big and/or heavy, then yeah, definitely consider one of the mirrorless options out there. I like Sony, but I also like so many other lines as well, like Olympus and Panasonic Lumix.

5. Morgen. says:

I will just admit the “I live without money” stories out there make me vomit a little in the back of my throat. Unless the woman is squatting in the wilderness, wiping her but with a pinecone and weaving clothing from reeds she is just as involved with money as the rest of us.

The idea that rather than taking responsibility for her own lodging, meals, etc but allows others to provide it for her while claiming moral stance isn’t inspiring. It’s aggravating. If a man mows my lawn for 50 dollars, then uses that 50 dollars to purchase lodging and food for the night then he has provided for himself. If a man mows my lawn then I am to procure and provide lodging and food (home cooked only please) for the value of 50 dollars then I have paid significantly more for the work then the original 50… while infantilizing the laborer.

Honestly, I tend to agree in large part. Most of these kinds of stories I just look past and not give a second thought to. For some reason, this one was interesting enough to post – at least to me. Maybe it was because of the length of time that she’s succeeded at living this way. It’s one thing to do this for a month…even a year. But for nearly a couple decades? That’s just insane.

• Morgen. says:

It’s very reminiscent of the swami’s. She sits upon her rock and discusses her lifestyle and the crowds gather at her feet to leave food and clothing. Very weird.

6. Thanks for the mention! It’s great to have a place to find personal finance blogs I haven’t seen before. I am always looking great writers to follow and gather wisdom!

7. Thanks for the good reads.

Having read through a number of their posts, I love the incredibly detailed escape plan described by the PIE’s.

In contrast, the FIRE date for the Financial Slackers is less certain because (1) we both work from home and can work from anywhere so the need to escape is less pressing and (2) we would prefer to maintain the flexibility provided by a steady income until our children finish school.

Me too, FS – love it. And yep, working from home offers an incredible advantage of location independence. Follow the weather! 😉