We’ve spent almost $100,000 this year; what?!?

Published June 11, 2016   Posted in Having some fun

I love the way Personal Capital makes tracking your financial picture so easy – sometimes, too easy. I logged in today to check out our net worth, clicked around a bit and discovered how much we’ve spent so far this year.

By the way, sign up for Personal Capital if you haven’t already. It’s 100% free and does an amazing job at putting your financial picture into a colorful web display.

Here is a screen shot of our spending so far this year:

Personal Capital spending screen shot

Needless to say, I was shocked at our spending rate. How in the world could we have spent nearly $100,000 when we’re gearing up to retire early? What did we miss?

Then I remembered what I was sitting in at that very moment – the Airstream! Ah, of course. I’m an idiot. That spending includes the new house (our Airstream, named Charlie) and truck (named Clifford).

Okay, that makes sense. Subtract out the cost of our Airstream and truck, and that’s around our regular spend rate for this point in the year.

But what about our income? With the sale of our first house, that’s gotta be a nice little number, right? Curious as I am, I looked that up, too.

Well hot damn, I’ve always loved blue.

Personal Capital screen shot of income

And we have one more house to go, too – and that one is currently under contract.

I love the ability to check out our year-to-date spending and income at practically a moment’s notice. It makes this whole early retirement thing that much easier.

Do you use Personal Capital? How are you good people looking in year-to-date spending and income?

Comments

27 responses to “We’ve spent almost $100,000 this year; what?!?”

1. It is a great tool! When is the closing scheduled for house #2?

2. Apathy Ends says:

I just started using personal capital again a few weeks ago, I stopped for awhile when it was having trouble connecting to our 401k accounts, but they have resolved that issue and we are back on track!

Enjoy the weekend!

3. Basil says:

Personal Capital is great, except for those mini heart attacks when you’ve forgotten a big ticket item…or two!

It’s great that you’ve spent under 100k for a new home, vehicle, and everything else in a year.

4. I just got started with Mint. Personal Capital is probably something I’ll check out but I am familiar with Mint. That’s a whole lot of money to spend! But those major purchases do add up and make the spending look pretty huge.

That said, our year to date spending looks fine given our income. We’re just ready to start attacking some student loans and get our net worth out of the red.

What are some benefits of Personal Capital over Mint?

5. I love Personal Capital. I put my monthly spending target in and track how well I’m doing as compared to the target.

We have substantially cut our living expenses as well as our investing expenses using Personal Capital.

Highly recommend.

6. Mrs. PIE says:

We use both Personal Capital and Mint. Our day to day expenses are tracked using mint. It’s a very easy and user friendly interface, and we have got a lot out of he graphing and analytics it can do.
    We use Personal Capital for a big picture overview. Investments, net worth and the like.
    At the moment we use mint for tracking monthly spending. I like to download the months transactions and delete those I know are going away in Early retirement. This is one of our efforts in understanding what future spend will look like.

Yup, that sounds like the perfect way to use those two applications…Mint for day to day expenditures, Personal Capital for the bigger picture. Sounds like a perfect match! 🙂

7. I notice the “checks” is the biggest expense category, and the accountant in me says that something isn’t quite right with the way the client is using the software! Aren’t you supposed to allocate the cheques to an actual expense category? Otherwise the software doesn’t really tell you much. The same goes for “uncategorized”.

Whenever I see something like this I’m amazed at America’s attachment to the prehistoric payment method of the cheque – it’s like the leaders of the free world haven’t realised that the rest of the free world moved on from cheques to electronic payments (that software like Personal Capital can recognise the description for and allocate to a category automatically) about two decades ago! And I even read that the US has drive through cheque depositing stations – what an enormous waste of time and money when the solution (which is free) has already been invented and even saves you having to physically take the cheques (or post them) to wherever they need to go!

We don’t have Personal Capital in Australia, and instead have to use other options that come with small fees. We use Intuit’s Quickbooks Online which works very well, and looks very similar to Personal Capital.

Yup, sometimes you need to help out the application if it can’t predetermine the expense category. In our case, we know where that money went so it’s not a big deal.

8. Curious about what the house sales will do to your taxes this year.

Hehe – yup, we are too. This will be the last year that we’ll be making serious money, too. After this year, it SHOULD be smooth sailing. 🙂

9. Jenn says:

I’ve just recently started using Personal Capital. It’s neat and I’m sure I haven’t discovered most of the functionality. The only thing I don’t like? Sales calls from them to buy consulting services. Hopefully, they’ll give that up soon. I do have one account that always requires an extra level of security to e-mail a PIN. A minor inconvenience though. Having my net worth calculated (including the value of our home) in a few minutes is priceless.

True that regarding the sales calls. They called us 2 or 3 times and then got the hint that we aren’t interested in that service.

10. Jack says:

I’m still old school in that I use Quicken to track all my finances. Budgeting, forecasting, net worth, investment tracking and all the rest in one package.

Given how frequently web services are hacked and information stolen, I’m not comfortable putting all my financial information in one place online for criminals to target.

11. Apparently I’m pretty backwards. I (proudly) still use spreadsheets!

12. We keep big bumps like house sales & your trailer in a special category “exceptionals”. I am old school and mainly use my trusty spreadsheets to track where we are at. I do use Mint.com for tracking spending.

Yeah, they definitely are exceptionals for us too, though we don’t necessarily have an official category for that at the moment. Mint is a good one too – definitely helpful for spending visibility!

13. I love using Personal Capital to track my expenses. It does have some hiccups though. I take what PC spits out on expenses and plug them into my excel spreadsheet and track it that way. Fun for a personal finance nerd like myself.

It is fun for nerds and anyone who likes looking at pretty charts and graphs. Makes visibility stupid easy, even for hard-headed folks like me. 🙂