The Friday Feast ~ the 9th of December

Published December 9, 2016   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Jessica Moorhouse, Four Pillar Freedom, Financial Fanny Pack, Valuist, Choose Better Life, Tracey Minutolo, Escaping to Freedom, Heartland Hustle, Physician on Fire and 1500 Days.

readingWelcome to another Friday, congrats for making it here and happy December! I have officially kicked off the #RetirementCountdown on Twitter. As of today, I have 11 more days of full-time work left. Period. Yippee!

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, dealing with money with your partner is easy if you both make around the same amount. But, what if you don’t? Jessica Moorhouse writes about what the hell to do when someone makes more than the other.

And, Four Pillar Freedom reminds us that *WE* are the only ones tracking our failures. “Think about it. Nobody in the world has enough time to keep track of all the failures you experience over the course of a week or a month or a year.”

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post for this week comes from Financial Fanny Pack who wrote about how a millennial can retire a multi-millionaire (if that kind of thing is important to you!).

“My point is that $1 million dollars may seem like a lot of money, but if you want that money to last, your retirement will not be glamorous. So really, becoming a millionaire is a decent starting point, but it’s probably smart to find a higher goal.”

For the record, my wife and I will retire in our 30s with less than a mil.

But if you want more than that, fear not! Compounding works, and everything that you save adds up to something truly amazing. Calculators are amazing things, too.

Do YOU need more than a million to retire comfortably?

More from the personal finance community

Check out this cool infographic on Valuist about the art of maximizing value. “The first step to maximizing value is to determine whether you actually need something in the first place.” Ah hah!

Choose Better Life reminds us to say “Yes” to our priorities.

Also, Tracey Minutolo talks about how to take down a mountain…of debt. “Visualize your future state, living free of the burden of debt and all that this represents for you.”

Lastly, Escaping to Freedom argues that this whole “9-5” work shit is just flat bonkers.

Honorable mentions: Heartland Hustle writes about giving to charity without spending a dimePhysician on Fire gave $100,000, and lastly, Mr. and Mrs. 1500 Days got featured in Entrepreneur Magazine. Cool!

Video of the week

Another episode of Frank Financials is out! This week, my wife and I talked about ways NOT to be a grinch this holiday season even if you don’t want to spend a bunch of money on landfill-bound gifts.

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday, I’m answering the most common question that we get about living full-time in an RV, and on Wednesday I am publishing a guest post by a kick-ass millennial (and I’m serious this time!).

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

30 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 9th of December”

1. I liked the video. I went a similar place with a post on Wednesday. You had some items I didn’t have and vice versa.
    I liked that you gave a shout out to a post that talks about needing more then 1 mil to retire given your targets. Honestly I suspect your lifestyle fits well with your targets but it’s not a life for everyone which is why the million number is low to some. I suspect boon docking is probably critical to your financial plans. For me I suspect we will still have a house somewhere and of course I have kids. So my target is still around 2 M.

Thanks FullTimeFinance. For the most part it all comes down to your lifestyle. My wife and I plan to lead a very frugal lifestyle, so we just won’t need all that much to get by. That, and I know that we’ll find opportunities to pull in some dough here and there while we’re on the road, so we aren’t worried about making the stockpile last. I just don’t want to work a job that I don’t enjoy for a day longer than I absolutely have to. It’s just not worth it to me! 🙂

2. Thanks for the shoutout, Steve!
    I loved your video- great job personalizing your Christmas gift to yourself this year- Happy Retirement!!! I’m excited to hear where you travel first since it’s so beautiful in AZ this time of year.
    Happy Holidays to you and your wife.
    We’ll spend today baking for our neighbors (and Mom. She emailed yesterday to ask why we haven’t delivered this year’s treats yet.) and will have a cookie exchange with friends next week. It’s the best of everything- we bake for them AND get to try all the goodies they bake too 🙂

Thanks Julie! Yup, this time of year in Arizona is why we endure the relentless heat during the summers. It’s supposed to be around 75 today with brilliant sunshine. Oh, and that cookie exchange sounds absolutely amazing. 🙂

3. Arrgo says:

Wow Steve. After reading about your last day for so long its hard to believe its almost here. Are you sure you won’t get caught up in JOMD? (Working Just One More Day) 😉

4. Congrats on having just 11 days of work left! That’s a real accomplishment. 🙂 Looks like you’ll be able to enjoy the holidays in peace. I’m jelly!

I’m on track to retire by 35 if all goes according to plan. We definitely won’t have $1 mil by that time; we just need enough to live on, and that’s good enough for us. I also know that we’ll be doing side jobs or part-time work to supplement our income, so it’s not like we won’t fill our days with money-making ventures.

Thanks, Mrs. Picky Pincher! And congrats on your retirement plans as well…I happen to believe that 35 is an excellent age to retire from full-time work…but then again, I might be biased. 🙂

5. ESI Money says:

I needed income close to $100k to retire, so yes, I needed more than $1 million.

I think it comes down tot the lifestyle you want to lead and what that costs.

Once you know that, then you can determine how much you need in assets (and how to arrange your investments) to reach that income.

Hey ESI – yup, totally agree. It all comes down to your lifestyle and how you expect to live post-retirement. Nothing wrong with saving more than a million if that’s what it’ll take for your situation.

6. Thanks for the shoutout, Steve!

It’s so awesome that you live a lifestyle that requires less than $1 mill to retire on. A frugal lifestyle truly pays dividends! I’ll be interested in hearing updates from you about your post-work life and adventures. Keep up the great content.

7. Thanks Steve, I’m honored! You’re exactly right, the amount you need definitely depends on how you plan to live in retirement. It ultimately comes down to how much of your time you’re willing to trade and how many sacrifices you’d be okay making to get to that point. You just need to find the perfect balance!

A lot of great articles here. Thanks again for sharing!

You’re most welcome, Nicholas. Time is a crucially important element, no doubt – in fact, it’s arguing *more important* than the element of money. Very good point, my friend!

8. I definitely think most people need less than $1Mil. I also agree that the 9-5 is so wrong. I’m a strong proponent of more part time work options for professionals and the capability to work remotely for a company.

Can wait to read those articles!

I’m right there with you with the part-time options. The nice thing is once we hit Financial Independence…or even anywhere *near* it, our options to pursue part-time work opens up dramatically. And part-time work might strike the perfect balance between free time and focused money-making endeavors! 🙂

• Arrgo says:

I think a part time option is good to have. I dont mind working, but the issue is with the 40 or 50 hours a week of your time spent and the full-time commitment. It doesnt leave much time or energy for other important things in your life. Nights and weekends are barely enough time to just keep up with the basics and then your personal hobbys and interests start to suffer.

9. Thank you for thinking of me, Steve!

“Do YOU need more than a million to retire comfortably?”

Too much open to interpretation to give a solid Yes or No. On one hand, I know that I could retire with less than a million and live a lifestyle that I describe as comfortable.

But… I’d prefer to have more (and will) for an even more comfortable retirement.

So, no, I don’t NEED as much as I’m targeting, but I want it to ensure a very comfortable retirement with no regrets. Retiring with less would leave me too far to the left on the likelihood of regret scale.

Thanks Physician on FIRE! I agree, lots of unknowns and interpretation with all of this. Definitely agree that more than a million will allow for a more comfortable retirement. But, it’s also nice that you don’t NEED as much as your targeting, but could live off of that amount if it comes to it. Flexibility is a wonderful thing. 😉

10. Amy S. says:

Wow. Thank you for including me!! I am humbled and honored to be included among bloggers who inspire me daily. It’s especially so meaningful knowing how close you are to your FIRE date – congratulations!! Can’t wait to read all about it. Amy at HeartlandHustle.com

11. Great list of posts this week Steve! Lots of blogs I’ve never read before!

12. Jef says:

Thanks for sharing and putting this together! Looks like you guys are having or have had a blast on your RV journey and I’ll watch the video on YouTube

Cheers guys! 🙂

13. Thanks for the shoutout, Steve! I’ve been a long-time reader of TSR, so I feel very humbled to be featured 🙂

I’m so excited about your imminent retirement!! Then you can tell us all, first-hand, if early retirement is as good as it sounds!

Ha! Thanks for the comment, Ricard. I’ll be sure to report back – often, in fact – about whether or not I made a huge mistake retiring early. I have a feeling that it’ll be quite awesome, but only time will tell. I’m excited to find out!

14. Great video and congrats on the early retirement! I can’t imagine what I’d do with myself if I retired so young but I bet it would beat the hell out of going to the office at 6 AM every morning… Thanks so much for the shout out!