Are you “starting” a family or expanding it? Pet peeves!

Published December 14, 2016   Posted in Having some fun

It’s the holidays, and I’m in a free-wheelin’, fun-loving spirit, so let’s burn a post this week by talking about something unrelated to personal finance. Yup, we’re talking about pet peeves. The things that shouldn’t bother me so much, but do.

My biggest pet peeve? Like, ever? It’s when someone describes having a baby as “starting a family”. The implication being unless you have a child, you aren’t truly a family? Poppycock!

You’re expanding your family, and that’s wonderful. But, I would submit that a husband and wife are very much a family even if they do not have children. Besides, try telling our dogs that they aren’t a part of our family because they aren’t human, and you’ll get stared down. Like this:

That candle won’t save you; run, and run fast!

My pet peeves

I’m at the gym and looking to finish off my workout with a set of flat bench presses. I grab a couple of 50s and pound out a set of 10. Strangely, my left arm feels significantly stronger than my right arm. But, I’m also right-handed. What gives?

Oh, damn! It turns out someone put a 40 pound dumbbell in the 50 pound spot. Stupid me, I didn’t notice because I incorrectly assumed the well-labeled dumbbell racks provided enough information for the weights to be replaced in their proper places.

Or, I consistently avoid using a machine that I want to use because weights are still on it, only to finally realize by the end that nobody was using that machine after all. The problem was the last person to use it neglected to re-rack their weight plates.

Or listening to music through the speakers on your cell phone rather than using a headset like everybody else.

Basic consideration for your fellow man (or woman) is hard.

Traffic circles – what a cluster! It’s almost as if our drivers education we all supposedly took back in high school made no mention of those confusing intersections. Wait, am I supposed to cut directly in front of someone already in the circle or wait my turn?

A blinking red light – do those mean I treat them as if they were a solid red stop light?

A right turn – do I need to stop and wait for a minimum of 10-seconds, even when the intersection is completely clear of any and all cars and people, before continuing my perfectly-legal right turn?

No…no to all! 🙂

Grumpy cat says Bummer

Bummer. Yeah, I don’t care for the word bummer. To me, it means “Oh well, but I really don’t care. As in:

“Yeah, I didn’t get that promotion that I was after”.

Oh, bummer“.

How about when you’re in the middle of a conversation with someone and the person whom you are speaking to can’t seem to remove their head from their cell phone long enough to make eye contact with you?

“Uh dude, I’m actually up here, not in your phone.”

And then they take a week to respond to one of your text messages even though you KNOW they’re always on their phone and probably saw it immediately after you sent it.

Chewing. Not a fan of listening to people chew, even though it’s super hard to avoid!

Oh, and gum. I hate gum. I hate having to do something with the piece of gum after it loses its flavor (or worse yet, stepping in it). I hate listening to people chew it. Gum. Is. Evil.

Those who never seem to be on-time, which is almost everyone that I’ve ever met – unless they were at one time in the military. Military people seem to be on-time, or even a few minutes early.

Singing out loud to songs on the radio. I get the head bob. I can even understand humming along to the tune, but please, don’t actually sing along. For the love of Mike, please don’t.

Singing out loud to the radio? Totally not necessary!

Two people who are walking down a sidewalk or aisle in the very center and refuse to move when you’re walking the other way – at best, they might give you a subtle shoulder turn. It’s your responsibility to get out of their way, you know.

People who don’t understand that the left hand side of escalators (and moving walk ways) is for walking; the right hand side is for standing still.

That co-worker who insists on CC’ing my boss on emails because they believe I won’t help them without my boss knowing about their stupid little request.

Alright, let’s hear it, y’all. What are your pet peeves?

Comments

55 responses to “Are you “starting” a family or expanding it? Pet peeves!”

1. Great list and I second many of those! I definitely can’t stand people chewing and it’s impossible to get over it. Related to traffic, so many people don’t understand it’s perfectly legal to turn left on a red light from a one-way onto a one-way. It’s annoying. I have noticed more since I moved to the South so don’t know if it’s just a southern thing or what.

Ha! Honestly, I don’t think it’s a southern thing, but I could be wrong. You’ll see unaware and distracted drivers *everywhere*, unfortunately. It sounds like the problems I see here in Arizona are very common throughout the country! 🙂

2. Bummer, dude. Sounds like you need to retire and relax. How do I cc your boss on this comment?!

Fun post!

3. Tawcan says:

I don’t understand people that don’t understand how to drive in a traffic circle. I mean, come on!

I get pretty annoyed when people start CCing my boss in emails because they think I won’t do anything for them. It’s a very annoying tactic people use.

4. Amanda says:

Oh man, the moving walkways. I hear you.

I have a hard time with people who don’t follow the arrows in parking lots. Then you’re driving with the arrow and they turn down the wrong way and honk at you. Those arrows exist for a reason! To avoid chaos!

I also get agitated by the phrase, “You know what you need?” Because here comes some unsolicited advice…which is really an insult disguised as a good intention.

5. Oh man, chewing is one of my biggest pet peeves. Loud eaters drive me crazy!

People who text while they drive. Outside of the dangerous aspect of it, are you really that important that you constantly need to be texting and checking email?

People that take forever to make a left hand turn and cause me to miss the light. You don’t need to wait until the car in front of you is 500 feet ahead of you before you start moving through the light.

Intersections are hard, aren’t they? Even when there’s nobody around, the invisible monkeys keep people second guessing themselves…and even with this amount of caution, there are still wrecks, and lots of them.

6. Mine is people who make lists of pet peeves. 🙂

merriam-webster does define ” family” as a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head, but I have always associated it with having children.

I’m with you on co-workers CC’ing my boss on everything. I have one of them in my office. A big pain in the ass. Or should I say cover his ass.

I’m not a fan of bloggers who don’t reply to comments on their blogs. I realize that some comment add no value, but a simple “thanks” or “thanks for commenting” would do. I realize what I just set myself up for.

7. I think the right on red and traffic circle issues are also partly tied to differing rules per state. The state I currently live in for example has no traffic circles. I’ve also lived in states without right on red rules. Since when you move there is no remedial training, I suspect some have never learned what to do.

My wife has the pet peeve of chewing, I personally don’t notice it.

My big pet peeve, people that commit to do something by x date and then do nothing towards that goal. I much prefer to know up front someone won’t do something so I can prepare an alternative. Even if they execute and fail to complete its fine. Its those who don’t even start that get to me.

You could be right, FTF – but in states that don’t have traffic circles, the driver’s education classes that kids take don’t even acknowledge their existence? Very strange…and dangerous!

And I’m with you on your big pet peeve. Those people tend to come up with excuses, too, as to why they failed to achieve their goal. “I was busy”.

Uh huh…

8. John Odorzynski says:

My pet peeves are those who use the phrases “at the end of the day” and “to be completely honest with you”.

9. wishicouldsurf says:

The on-time thing… I grew up in the northeast and was always on-time everywhere, more like 5 minutes prior to said appointment time was on time. I learned in socal that 5-15 minutes late is on-time. I do sales and started showing up to those appointments 5-10 minutes later than the scheduled time and it made me feel much less annoyed. Especially since we always have the “traffic” excuse. I regard it very much as a cultural thing (and not just talking about the military)… like we have a joke around here about TJ time (Tijuana time) and that can mean anywhere from 20-90 minutes late for something. But funny list, regardless.

I’ve definitely found the same thing! Even 5 minutes late, I was generally still the first one to the party. And honestly, parties are a bit different because there is a range of time where people can arrive. But appointments, for example. Or, “I’ll be over in 5 minutes” shouldn’t mean a half hour.

10. I think you make a super good point about “starting a family.” It’s like a “family” is defined as having kids, when in reality you’re already a family! But that’s all part of the traditionalist assumption that you aren’t a real person until you have kids. Sigh.

One of my biggest all-time pet peeves is when people use “impact” as a verb. “It impacted me so much!”

No it didn’t, because impact isn’t a verb!!!

Oooh, that gets my blood riled up. It’s a new favorite corporate buzzword and I hear it all the time. My little grammarian ears are bleeding.

Thanks Mrs. Picky Pincher. It really does seem to be that way, doesn’t it? Kids make a family? Hmm…

Impact isn’t a verb…ha! Nice, love it. One of my pet peeve words in business is “disruptive”. As in, “Be disruptive”, meaning: build some ingenious new product or service that makes the industry squirm.

Nice list! I hear you on right turn people – unless there’s a sign saying “no right turn on red” what are you waiting for?

One of my pet peeves is when people that wait for drivers turning left across an intersection into our street and they will not turn right and give the ;eft turn drivers the right of way. I’m like, “you have the right of way turning right, they’re turning across traffic, they yield to you, turn already!!” Hahahaha….

It’s my last intersection before home on my commute, so I’m probably a little more worked up than usual by the time I get there.

Also I second Green Swan’s comment on left turns onto one ways – it’s not that difficult of a concept people… 🙂

Oh, love the edit because I forgot to add – have you ever replied to them and cc’ed their boss? i tried that a couple of times and it worked well to cut down on “boss cc’s”. haha
    Mr. SSC recently posted…You’ll Never Know if You Don’t Try…

Yup, a right hand turn has the right-of-way. That’s a very basic foundational element of driving that we learned in “Driver’s Ed” in school. 🙂

…didn’t we all learn that?

12. Walking behind someone in a public area like a sidewalk and they come to a complete unannounced stop without moving to the side. People who try to find the closest parking spot… the walk will do you good. There are others but I’ll spare you my whining.

Haha – love it, Fervent. Yeah, most of us can use a little…extra walking, can’t we? I have a feeling you have some hilariously annoying pet peeves. 🙂

13. Semira says:

Fun post. It amuses me that a lot of it and most of the comments are talking about driving pet peeves. After growing up in Atlanta I vowed to never own a car again and haven’t (NYC and now Seattle). I don’t know what y’all are talking about :). I’ll watch out for the sidewalk pet peeves though.

14. Oh god, I hate the CCed boss, especially on a trivial work-related disagreement. What a bummer that is!

I have to stand up for that one, seeing as I say it all the time. To me, it doesn’t imply “oh well, I don’t really care,” but “that sucks, but don’t let it get you down.”

I’m glad that people don’t actually mean “bummer” to be an indication that they don’t care. That’s probably just my own weird interpretation based on how I hear people use it.

Bumville, man… 🙂

15. These are all so true!

So many people live in this world like they are the only ones and they have no consideration for others.

My biggest pet peeve is when people misuse ‘good’ and ‘well’. This happens so often and these mistakes make even the smartest people look dumb. Misusing ‘it’s’ and ‘its’ comes in at a close second.

Yeah, I gotta admit that I do that sometimes, too.

“How are you doing?”

Good“.

I should say “Well”, I suppose. The its vs. it’s is one of mine as well. I understand the occasional typo (’cause I make plenty of those), but its and it’s are very, very different words with different meanings!

16. Morgan says:

I think it’s funny that you find offense both that the person is on their cell phone all the time… AND that he is not prompt enough when you text him! Lol. I guess my pet peeve is people who want to be the exception. Don’t answer all those phone calls… you never pick up when I call! Your always on the cell phone… but when I text you aren’t available. Lol.

Good catch, my smart blog reader! No exceptions necessary, just common courtesy. If someone’s talking to you, do them the basic courtesy of at least “looking at them”.

Oh, and you reminded me of another pet peeve of mine. Your vs. You’re. 😉

• We work SO hard at school to have kids make eye contact when they talk to someone….only to have their parents not make eye contact with them because they are too busy looking at their phones! I agree with a bunch of the pet peeves you listed. Add one for the gym – people who are all sweaty and don’t wipe down the machines when they are done. Yuck…

Yup, that doesn’t really surprise me unfortunately. Kids learn so much from their parents – both the good and the bad. I’m sure most parents don’t even realize what they are implicitly teaching their kids with that kind of behavior.

And agreed on the wiping down equipment at the gym. I tend to sweat a lot when I’m at the gym, so I always try to wipe down any machine or bench after I use it.

17. Jenny says:

Speaking of vs. I hate it when people shorten the word versus to verse when saying it in a sentence. I’ve noticed people doing that a lot lately.

Hmm, very interest! I can’t say that I’ve seen that too much, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Verse…as in, a verse in a song or the Bible, vs. verses, which means, well, verses! 🙂

18. Ty says:

Fun read, Steve. Oncoming sidewalk people that won’t move over, forcing you to contort yourself in order to avoid a collision, should be locked up. Arrogant SOBs! Other peeves of mine:

Texters in movie theaters s and/or movie loud laughers.

The word moist.

People that let their animals crap on my lawn and don’t pick up the foul mess, making me to it.

Incorrect use of the work literally. My ears literally bleed when I hear it used incorrectly.

19. About that escalator thing….believe it or not there’s no solid rule on that.

I’ve been to countries where in one city people stand on one side, and then in another city they stand on another. Same country. Citizens of the country don’t even understand why it is. Go figure.

Weird! I believe that there IS a rule on that here in the U.S. at least, but like you said, that doesn’t necessarily mean people are aware of it…much less actually used to following it! 🙂

20. Are you me?! I read this like I had written it – I agree with pretty much all of these.

The gym scenarios you’ve described really piss annoy me – most people don’t understand that you have to re-rack weights, and generally leave things like you found them. Or maybe they do realise, and just purposely decide not to follow the rules. Also, gym, newbies who don’t know gym etiquette and will sit on a bench resting for 5 minutes in between sets, playing on their phone, while there are clearly people waiting to use said bench! Grrr…

PS. Poppycock is now my new favourite word!

Hehe, I love the word poppycock! Such an amazing word. 🙂

And yeah, the “sitting on a bench messing with your phone” thing is something I see a TON. And it’s not like they are using some kind of fitness app where they are recording the weight and number of reps they just did. No, they are usually on Facebook…

21. EL says:

You opened up a can of worms with this one. What a bummer it is when your pet peeve is regarding a pet, when my cat throws up is one. As I chew gum and sing along in the car, I recall another, getting cut off while driving and drivers honking at me for going 60 in the slow lane.(IT’s the slow lane why are you honking -morons) This was fun.

22. Mrs. BITA says:

Oooh peeves. I have many.

1. “Let me flush out that idea.” Nope. No. It is flesh out. Unless your idea is really dumb. Then go ahead and flush.

2. “This is my honest opinion.” As opposed to what? The lies you spout the rest of the time?

3. “In your own words…..” Whose words are you worried I will use instead?

4. b4. sum1. r.

5. People who talk loudly enough at restaurants that I can hear their conversation at my table.

6. People who let their kids kick at the back of your seat in an airplane. As if traveling coach wasn’t already torture enough.

I could go on. I won’t though. One of your pet peeves might be people who leave unreasonably long comments.

Ha! Thanks for commenting, Mrs. BITA. I think #6 annoys me the most because it’s the parents JOB to teach their children correct behavior in public. Shesh!

23. Miss Mazuma says:

Funnnn!! Griping for griping’s sake!

*When people clip their nails on the plane.
    *When people complain about a delay like their life is more important than anyone else’s.
    *Passive aggressive people who tip toe around an issue instead of addressing it head on.
    *When the boys don’t put the seat down and I fall in (we’re working on that).
    *People that assume because I don’t eat meat I must be starving or not taking care of myself.
    *People who roll their eyes at old people because they are moving too slow…like, seriously? DO plan never to get old?

But in serious, the gripe that started it all, family. Your point is valid and one I think about often. I don’t have kids, I’m not married, but I don’t think any less of my life or the “family” that I have created. My friends are my chosen family. My BF and his kids have become another type of family. My dog is most certainly my family. 🙂

Nice addition, Miss Mazuma! Can’t say that I disagree with any of them. People actually clip their nails on airplanes? Wow…I don’t think that I’ve ever seen that before, and I don’t especially want to! 🙂

24. Leigh says:

I’m totally with you on the “starting our family” thing! I am tired of people who told me that my now-husband and I weren’t a family because we weren’t married or the people who wax at weddings that “may the couple be blessed with many children”. What about the people who don’t want children or who have troubles getting pregnant??? It really bugs me.

It’s interesting how children are just…assumed these days. You must want children or you are somehow “different” or going against the grain of society. Some even call it selfishness. Very strange. Sometimes I don’t quite understand society. 🙂

• Angela J says:

Yeah, me too. Family is when you are with someone who is something than just friend. It;s when you give love and get it back..

25. Mrs. COD says:

Oh boy, I’m with you on most if not all of these, especially the sidewalk hogging! Any action that basically demonstrates you think you’re more important than everyone else irritates me to no end. And it’s not because I don’t move over; I do. It’s common courtesy for everyone to make space on sidewalks for each other. I hated seeing the same arrogance at the high school where I taught…kids blocking the halls so the others can’t get through…grrr. Enjoyed reading your pet peeves!

Thanks for the comment, Mrs. COD! “Sidewalk hogging” is a great term to describe this, actually. These are adults who do it, too. I expect this kind of behavior from kids in high school…but adults? Come on man! 🙂