The Friday Feast ~ the 16th of December

Published December 16, 2016   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Wealth Well Done, Femme Frugality, Power Over Life, Canadian Budget Binder, Mystery Money Man, Keep Thrifty, The Green Swan, Make Smarter Decisions, Atypical Finance, Saving With Spunk.

readingWelcome to another Friday, congrats for making it here and happy December! I have officially kicked off the #RetirementCountdown on Twitter. As of today, I have 5 more days of full-time work left. Period. Yippee!

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, Wealth Well Done wrote about the #1 skill that you need to change your life.

And speaking of changing your life, Femme Frugality argues that changing your money mindset will also change your life.

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post for this week comes from Power Over Life who wrote an epic post about retirement being your permanent vacation.

“For me, I view retirement like a permanent vacation.  I am determined to not allow my “golden years” be thwarted by a lack of education and preparation…I want to have everything in place, and all my bags packed (so to speak) before I get there.”

Amen to that. Why wait until your “golden years” before enjoying never-ending time away from the office?

“In my mind, my retirement living looks like this: my wife and I lounging on the beach, sipping lemonade, and diving into a good book in the morning (and possibly snorkeling with the dolphins in the afternoon).”

Yeah, I could get used to that.

More from the personal finance community

Canadian Budget Binder writes about how to keep debt from causing a marriage crisis.

Guess who’s got a side hustle? Mystery Money Man! Check out what the MMM is up to.

Also, Keep Thrifty talked earlier in the year about figuring out how much car you can afford.

Lastly, The Green Swan interviewed me. Loved it. Yeah, I admitted that my early retirement journey isn’t all that unique!

Honorable mentions: Make Smarter Decisions gave up goals to focus on habitsAtypical Finance talks about the true cost of debt lastly, Saving With Spunk discusses short term money pots.

Video of the week

Wanna see how we’ve decorated our Airstream for the holidays?

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday, I’m releasing my first Blog Showcase, where I put together a collection of links to other blogs that I find interesting. My first installment covers newer personal finance blogs. On Wednesday…nothing? Nope, no Wednesday post next week because I’m saving it for Friday – my last official day working a full-time job. Woooo!

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

28 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 16th of December”

1. Thanks for the great interview, Steve!

I’m really looking forward to you post next Friday!

2. Hey Steve,
    Happy Friday and thanks for the shout-out! Can’t wait for your post next freedom (WOOPS – FRIDAY!!!) What a way to celebrate the end of 2016! Happy weekend and hear’s to the last #SundayNight of stress worrying about work the following week!

3. It’s pretty cool your going to post on newer blogs. As someone who has only been at this for about 4 months I enjoy reading about my peers. It’s hard to tell whom is new and experienced sometimes, but knowing who is in your peer group can provide inspiration and support.
    The decorations look very tastefull.

Thanks FTF – I’ve got you included as well. I think it’s a good thing that we can’t tell who is new and who isn’t. That means we’re all doing a good job at putting our best foot forward. 🙂

4. Steve – thanks for sharing my article. Its an honor to be on the Friday Feast! Congrats on being down to only 11 more days of work left. You’ll be retiring WAY earlier than I will be, so why don’t you run down to Florida and I’ll meet you for lemonades and dolphins in a few years??

Thanks for the feature again. Its been great binge reading stuff from your website for the last few days. Happy holidays.

You’re very welcome, Jacob. Loved the piece! We will definitely make it to Florida one of these days. We plan to do the Maine to Florida trek eventually, in fact. 🙂

5. Congrats on having just 11 days to go! I think I have ten years left, so I’m drooling over your short wait after all the hard work. 🙂

Thanks! I actually only had 5 days to go on Friday (not sure why I said 11 – but it’s corrected now!). It’s definitely surreal. And fun, too. 🙂

6. ESI Money says:

Congrats on the last day of work coming up!

I’m looking forward to taking the journey with you.

7. I just realized you were on YouTube…. great!!! I like to listen to YouTubers over Podcasts, while I’m cleaning and cooking or working out at home. Can’t wait to see some videos later today.

8. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the interesting posts Steve!

9. Thanks for the mention mate I’m glad you like the article.
    Happy Holidays!!
    Mr.CBB

10. Congrats Steve – I’m looking forward to see what you’ve got cooked up for Friday!

11. Congratulations on your pending retirement, Steve.

It’s so great that you’ve been able to pull this off and retire at such a young age. Can’t wait to hear more once you enter your golden years.

And thanks for the posts. Always great to read some new stuff.

12. Thanks for the mention Steve. It was an honor and I’m excited to get to know you and your work better. I’m sad that I missed out on following the last few years of your journey as you worked toward F. Independence (As I hadn’t found this community yet), but I’m excited to see where this next chapter of your journey takes you, as it sounds like alot of fun. You now have a friend in the Twin Cities, Minnesota – Viking Country – and I’m grateful to be working on the same team with you. I look forward to watching Wealth Well Done mature, grow, and evolve right alongside, Think Save Retire. Peace, friend.

You’re very welcome, Bill. Very nice article. I definitely need to make it up into the Twin Cities area, too. Especially in the spring or summer!

13. Jef says:

Thanks for sharing as always great value man!
    Loving the video, curious to know your process on filming these? i.e. does it take long, what tech stuff do you use? Cool dog there as well ;).. Airstream looks great too! Decked out in all of your Christmas finest

Congrats on the last week of work as well..

Hey Jef – appreciate the comment! Some videos definitely take longer to make than others. If we’re just sitting in front of the camera (like with the Frank Financials, or on our A Streamin’ Life YouTube channel, our Tuesday Talks), then it doesn’t take much time to do the editing. But if I’m bringing in a bunch of other video and cutting, say, 3 hours of footage down into around 10 or 15 minutes, then yeah, that can definitely take some time.

We use simple equipment – a Sony A6000 digital camera with an external hot-shoe mounted zoom microphone. We also have a lapel mic that connects directly into our iPhones as another audio recording device. That works great. Edit in Adobe Premiere. We will soon be adding a GoPro into our photographic collection of gadgets, too! 😉