The Friday Feast ~ the 13th of January

Published January 13, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Our Next Life, Code To Riches, Notorious D.E.B.T., Brooklyn Bread, Crisp Retirement, Full Time Finance, The Money Principle, Retire By 40, Go Finance Yourself, Physician on Fire.

readingWelcome to Friday the 13th! The weather is warm and I’m busier than ever as I continue to meander my way through early retirement. I finally get to focus entirely on what makes me happy, which is a freedom that I am truly grateful for.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First and foremost, allow me to extend a huge congratulations to Our Next Life who recently paid off their home, becoming mortgage free! What an amazing accomplishment.

How many read the Code To Riches piece about never wanting to retire? Writing as someone who retired at 35, it’s tough for me to relate to this article. But an interesting read none-the-less!

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post for this week comes from Notorious D.E.B.T. who writes about achieving financial independence without being a high-paid doctor or software guy.

“I found out that many—if not most—FIers make a HUGE salary (compared to me, at least). In fact, it seems like a significant number of them are actually doctors or software engineers.”

Guilty as charged.

“And here I am over here, making $38,000/year two years after finishing grad school, with over $80,000 of debt. Holy f$#k, I now thought. Suspicions confirmed: this is for other, fancy-pants people. Not me.

If I deny the possibility outright, then of course it won’t happen. Beautiful!

More from the personal finance community

Brooklyn Bread writes shopping is NOT your “civic duty”.

I’ve said it before, Crisp Retirement is also saying it: You don’t need a million bucks to retire early!

Also, here are some financial words to live by from Full Time Finance: Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it does buy options.

Lastly, The Money Principle thinks that compound interest is overrated.

Honorable mentions: Retire By 40 talks five common mistakes made by couplesGo Finance Yourself tells us to screw the budget, lastly, Physician on Fire celebrated his one year blogiversary.

Video of the week

Here is a look at our Zion trip we took between Christmas and New Years. My folks now live about 45 minutes away from Zion. How convenient!

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday, describing a day in my life now that I’m retired and calling my own shots. On Wednesday, I’m giving you the straight scoop on how I was able to call it quits THIS early in life.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

24 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 13th of January”

1. Great list as always Steve! Zion has been on my bucket list for awhile now!

Thanks Mr. Tako. Zion is a good park to have on your list. Bryce, too, if you haven’t been there. We’re going to tackle Bryce when we return to Utah in the spring. 🙂

2. First let me start by saying thanks for the shout out. That video is stunning. I think I’ve been to Zion way back when I was a teenager, however it’s been a long time. The snow adds that extra bit of pop. It just looks stunning. I look forward to seeing more of the snow pics on the blog over time.

You’re very welcome, FTF! Appreciate your kind words about my photography. I definitely do plan to incorporate more and more of that stuff on the blog as we hit the road in April. 🙂

3. Thank you so much for including me Steve! Wow, your footage of Zion in the snow was truly mesmerizing. I sat watching it while eating my egg sandwich… what a great way to start the day! So many interesting articles you have rounded up here… looking forward to diving in. Happy Friday! xo

4. It’s troubling that many of the people who do achieve FIRE are either in software or medicine. But hey, it’s easier to retire if you have a very large income, so that’s just the way it is, I suppose. I do think anyone can achieve FIRE, but it’s way easier when you have a crapton of money.

It’s definitely easier when you make a lot of money – no doubt about that. Of course you still gotta actually *save* that money, but if you do, early retirement definitely comes quicker for those people. But anything under 50, to me, is *extremely* early retirement. 🙂

5. Great list Steve! Awesome to see other interesting articles out in the blogosphere, will definitely read these and add them to my blogs to read.

Awesome video of Zion, I haven’t been there yet, but I would like to in the future. I think I’m going to add a new goal to 2017, to visit as many National Parks as I can.

Thanks for the comment! National Parks in Utah are amazing – really, anywhere in the southwest. The landscape down here is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Beautiful area!

6. The never wanting to retire and how to retire without a million sound like they will be good reads!

7. Adam says:

Great video, beautiful scenery, and I loved the music that you chose… What was it?

8. Jan says:

Hi Steve!
    Thanks for doing this. I always look forward for this list.

I just started a blog on personal finance. Let me know what you think about it, I would love to hear your feedback. You can see my latest post about the new Trump’s tax plan, why it might raise the tax for some and how to avoid it.

9. Stephen says:

A lot of great reads, thanks for sharing!

10. Thanks for the shout out, Steve! Another great list you’ve put together.

Awesome video btw. How do you like the gro pro? We’ve been talking about getting one.

Thanks Go F Yourself. We love the GoPro. It’s so small and versatile. We can literally throw it around and it keeps going. The quality is very impressive and produces some very high quality video. So far, so good.

11. Corbett says:

i’m just loving the friday feast – first a big thanks to the folks behind thinksaveretire.com for sharing their FI journey – i follow a number of blogs including this one and i’m always looking out for others as i embark on my own FI journey — dont know for sure where that will end up, but at a minimum, i get quite a bit of inspiration from this blog and many others.

– Corbett @ FIscovery.com

12. Jef says:

Thanks for sharing Steve and hopefully you managed to survive Friday 13th quite well 😉