The Friday Feast ~ the 27th of January

Published January 27, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Tear Up The Box, Ask Allea, Finance Superhero, Money Beagle, Money Crush, The Retirement Manifesto, Dollar After Dollar, Pennies and Dollars, Couple of Cents, Doubling Dollars.

readingWelcome to the end of another week. The Friday Feast is my opportunity to highlight some of the best personal finance content that I read during the week. Both old and new articles get mentioned here because I enjoy going through people’s posting archives.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

We start off with a wickedly nice post from Tear Up The Box who writes of a simple way to win with money: Learning to say NO!

Oh, and Ask Allea talks about finding the balance between paying off debt and having a life.

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post for this week comes from Finance Superhero who writes that whining is much easier than winning.

“Despite my best intentions to avoid association with chronic whiners and complainers, society has conditioned us all to complain as an odd sort of coping mechanism.”

Things like “I’ll never get ahead”, or “Debt is a natural part of life”. In other words, blaming your circumstances rather than taking personal responsibility for the choices that YOU make. You “deserve” to be paid more than you are, right?

“Most millennials really need a lifestyle and attitude adjustment, not a salary adjustment. While the millennial median income is admittedly low across the United States, that hasn’t stopped millennials from living far beyond their means.”

More from the personal finance community

Money Beagle gave us 11 ways to have a BAD job interview!

Wanna get paid for doing something that you love? Money Crush says that it isn’t just for superstars.

Also, The Retirement Manifesto asked an interesting question: What if you live until 100?

Lastly, Dollar After Dollar argues that the keys to life are in the cliche´!

Honorable mentions: Pennies and Dollars talks 7 buys that pay for themselvesCouple of Cents says giving can increase your net worth, lastly, Doubling Dollars asks how much is enough?

Video of the week

We talk about why we decided against renovating a vintage Airstream to be our next home. They are super cool to look at, but our know-how would be a problem…  🙂

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday, I am talking about college degree programs and making a living in the market place. Perhaps some degrees just aren’t worth it! And on Wednesday, I’m telling you to stop. Just stop.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

32 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 27th of January”

1. Steve, thanks again for sharing these. I love Finance Superhero’s post about whining is much easier than winning. Being around negative people is such a drain on me. I try to avoid them at all costs. For some people, I think being negative and always complaining has become comfortable to them. It would actually take for effort for them to make a change and be positive and go out and win at something. So they actually get to a state where they enjoy being unhappy. And they try to bring down others with them.

You’re welcome, Go F Yourself. I agree, I have no time for negative people. And I think you’re right, they enjoy being unhappy. I guess it makes them feel better about the fact that things “aren’t going right” because, well, it’s easier to complain than to succeed. Man, that’s sad.

• I’m glad you enjoyed the post, Go Finance Yourself. Thanks for the feedback.

2. Thanks for sharing this roundup of great blogposts! I’m looking forward to reading the posts from blogs that I haven’t read before.

3. Buying newer or a major project is a question whether it’s an airstream or a house. We considered a house that needed major renovations before move in when buying our current house. The logistics needed to manage the rehab and our lives caused us to stick with move in ready homes.

Yup, it’s a big decision. My wife and I just aren’t natural rehabers when it comes to homes, so it just didn’t make sense to us – at least for our primary residence. For a secondary living arrangement…maybe.

4. I’m honored, Steve. Thanks for including my “What If You Live to 100” post! (Hoping my “Stealth Wealth” will be your “Pick Of The Week” next week! (haha, so predictable, give the guy an honor, and he asks for more!! We’re so needy, aren’t we? Smiles).

Thanks SO much for including me, love The Friday Feast!!
    Fritz @ TheRetirementManifesto recently posted…The Power Of Doing Good

Thanks Fritz! You’ve totally built up the anticipation for your Stealth Wealth piece – I’m looking forward to reading it. There is incredible wisdom in being stealthy wealthy!

5. Thank you for the great list, Steve! Always looking forward to reading new and interesting blog posts around the net.

6. Man, I love the look of vintage Airstreams! I really love that people are repurposing these old things with so much history and modding them out in modern ways. I still live vicariously through your nomadic life, though. Thanks for the compilation! I always find some great new people to follow with it. 🙂

You’re most welcome! And yeah, us too – vintage Airstreams are just beautiful. All shiny and stuff…more difficult to maintain, but totally cool lookin’!

7. Great list as always Steve.

I loved the video too, but I think you guys should go for a hike when you do it. Not that I don’t enjoy looking at you guys talk for 6 minutes, but I find myself moving to another tab with the audio playing in the background.

8. Looking forward to your Monday article on degrees!!!

9. Wow Steve, thanks for the mention! My new blog put up some crazy numbers and I had to investigate. Also, we are basically neighbors – same city! Well, at least until you head out of here shortly.

I really enjoyed the articles you linked here, especially the Pennies and Dollars one.

Same city?!? Nice! Just wish it would warm up a bit around here. 70s by next week! And you’re very welcome for the mention – it was my pleasure!

10. Dan Palmer says:

Thanks so much for the inclusion, and nice roundup overall!

11. Thanks Steve! Tons of new reads. Excited to check them out after a long week of work. One more year syndrome is drowning me….

12. Thank you for including me Steve! I am loving the Friday feast! This is a great round-up of posts.

I loved the video too and learning more about vintage airstreams and how they compare to new models.

Cheers!

Andrew

13. Ian Bond says:

Great curation Steve! Being 9 hours ahead of the US, I had a chance to catch up before you guys awakened!

I remember vividly being the age of Millennials today and my father had no sympathy for me. Old school!

I like Bill Gates: “Like isn’t fair. Get used to it.”

Tough call on the Airstream. My heart says, “Yea Baby!”, but my head tells me you made the right decision.
    Ian Bond recently posted…Your Retirement Fix: Stop Listening to Your Own Excuses

Thanks Ian. Totally – renovating something that we’d live in full-time is definitely not in the plans and probably never will be. It’s just not our style. 🙂

14. Mully Guard says:

Question for your weekly video…the dogs in the airstream particularly the bulldog do they bark a lot at the campsite do they allow people to approach you…so my American bulldog would act aggressive towards anyone who was having a nice conversation if they could make it inside fine and dandy but walking around nightmare as my bodyguard would not allow it….every new location PITA however as you are stationary for the time being maybe nothing….so if you could expand on travelling with the dogs that would be great. Thanks!

Hi Mully! Our white boxer hardly barks at all. Since she is a rescue, she is generally afraid of people. I haven’t witnessed a single ounce of aggression in her unless she feels threatened by another dog. No people aggression at all. Only larger dogs. Our dogs very easily adapt to their environment. They are wonderful travel pups.

15. I’m late to the party, but I truly appreciate the mention, Steve.

16. tearupthebox says:

Hey, Steve! Thanks so much for sharing our post from TearUpTheBox, and for all of the great inspirational reads from the world of personal finance! Your site is truly a ‘wealth’ of information for anyone looking to think, save and retire. Cheers!