The Friday Feast ~ the 17th of February

Published February 17, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Rockstar Directory, 1500 Days, Money Mow, Six Figures Under, The Tireless Worker, Cait Flanders, Penny and Rich, Anti-Groundhog Day, The Money Speakeasy, Northern Expenditure.

readingWelcome to the end of another week. The Friday Feast is my opportunity to highlight some of the best personal finance content that I read during the week. Both old and new articles get mentioned here because I enjoy going through people’s posting archives.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, I am very excited about the new Rockstar Directory that I helped build from the ground up. It is your one-stop shop to find and filter through all kinds of personal finance blogs from the community.

Oh, and Mr. 1500 Days achieved that wonderful mark this month. A journey to massive wealth and, more importantly, massive happiness. Congrats, my friend!

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from Money Mow who wrote yesterday about the virtue of owning less – but still, some things that are worth having.

“Things are expensive and most of them you do not need. Period. Things take up a lot of space. Also, things break. ” And it sucks hardcore when your precious stuff gets stolen, doesn’t it? What’s the solution?

“You need to start making your values and beliefs define you as a person rather than things.”

Umm…yes!

More from the personal finance community

Six Figures Under asks an important question: Are you giving your kids too many gifts?

And did you know that The Tireless Worker is happiest when going to bed tired?

Also, Cait Flanders writes about enjoying the journey and accomplishing goals in a dynamic environment.

Lastly, Penny and Rich discuss whether or not rich people are selfish materialistic hedonists. Phew!

Honorable mentions: Anti-Groundhog Day talks about the cost of rushingThe Money Speakeasy chats about increasing compensation without your boss, lastly, Northern Expenditure talks patience!

Video of the week

We are completely gutting the floors in our Airstream and putting in vinyl that looks like hardwood. Here’s a look at the mess that ensued getting everything ready!

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday I am asking a question: What if we gave everyone in the country a “basic income”? What would that do to retirement? And on Wednesday, I am talking about the virtues of success, and why it might be as simple as just asking for it.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

25 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 17th of February”

1. brian503 says:

Thanks for your work on the Rockstar Directory. Such a great resource. Great to see and connect with like minded people locally.

2. Steve, great work on the Rockstar directory. I still can’t believe I’m the only Personal Finance blogger reporting as from Delaware.

3. Hey Steve, thanks for sharing!

I really enjoyed reading Mr. 1500’s post, congrats to him. Have a good weekend

4. I always look forward to your Friday Feasts. Thanks for curating such great content. Also, the Rockstar Directory is awesome. Thank you for all you did to bring it to life.

5. Chad Carson says:

Good reading material, Steve. The directory is awesome. Thanks for doing work on that! Love the airstream remodel video! I should try that with some of my real estate remodels. So cool to follow along with your journey.

Thanks Chad – putting together a video this week about how the Airstream turned out after the reno. We love it.

• Chad Carson says:

I’ll be checking it out! Nice. We’re down in Ecuador now – not mobile like you guys – but enjoying the simple apartment life with public transport, parks, etc. When we come back next year we’re considering renting an RV and hitting the road for a couple of months. So, I’m definitely interested in following along with your journeys. Happy trails!

6. Mrs. BITA says:

Thank you for your work on the rockstar directory.

I enjoyed the video, and I’m with you on the choice of flooring – the two colors are definitely the more appealing choice.

7. Hey thanks for mentioning our post! We’re new around these parts, and we’re a bit weird, but really enjoying the personal finance blogosphere! Best –R

8. I am in looooooove with the Rockstar Directory. I’ve already started following dozens of new bloggers. It’s so heartwarming to see so many fellow money bloggers out there. 🙂

9. As always, thanks for the linkage to so many unique blogs.

Are you guys at all worried about the dogs scratching up the new vinyl? Carpet at least doesn’t scratch easily.

10. tirelessworker says:

Cheers Steve, thanks for sharing my post! I’m definitely going to look forward to your Friday Feasts! Great way to show what’s the latest happening in the PF community.

11. Go Finance Yourself says:

Steve, the Rockstar Directory is pretty awesome. Nice job on getting that up and running! Looks like it was a ton of work but it will be a great benefit for all of us in the community!

It was a good deal of work, but it’s also work I enjoy. It’s amazing how much we can get done without a full-time job to take up SO damn much of our time.

12. Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for mentioning my latest post. I have just started out blogging after wanting to do it for a long time, so it was a big surprise and a huge motivation boost seeing it featured here.

Keep up the good work with the Rockstar Directory – I have found several cool blogs on there already.

All the best,