The Friday Feast ~ the 24th of February

Published February 24, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Mr Tako Escapes, MakinCents, Frugal Desperado, Financial Mentor, The Grounded Engineer, Abovare, Jessica Moorhouse, Financially Alert, Steveonomics and Mark Manson.

readingWelcome to the end of another week. The Friday Feast is my opportunity to highlight some of the best personal finance content that I read during the week. Both old and new articles get mentioned here because I enjoy going through people’s posting archives.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, Mr Tako Escapees wrote a gem of a piece about making mistakes and offers a few tips about “failing well”. That’s right – there are better ways to fail.

And over at MakinCents, he is talking about saving money by simply unsubscribing.

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from Frugal Desperado who wrote that her debt is making her a bad girlfriend. Whaaa?

“When I finally woke up and started to realize that I was way in over my head, I became terrified at what I got myself into,” she wrote. This realization apparently made her a completely different person.

“There was definitely a shift in my personality as I went from the happy-go-lucky girl that wanted to squeeze the joy and life out of each day (even if it cost me a fortune I didn’t have) to having an emotional load almost bigger than my debt itself be placed squarely on my shoulders.”

Gritty read, but well worth the effort.

“Overall, debt is not sexy.”

More from the personal finance community

The Financial Mentor has got you covered if you think that you’re late to this “retirement savings” game.

Do millennials work hard? That’s the question that The Ground Engineer tackled this week.

Also, Abovare writes that the path to financial freedom is full of failures.

Lastly, check out the podcast that The Retirement Manifesto did with Jessica Moorhouse.

ALSO: Does anyone know what the hell happened to FinanciaLibre? His blog is gone. Where’d he go???

Honorable mentions: Financially Alert answers the question: What do you do?, Steveonomics chats about why he doesn’t own real estate, and lastly, Mark Manson writes of the disease of more!

Video of the week

We finally did it! We tore out those old shitty floors we had in the Airstream and replaced them with brand new vinyl. We love the results and saved thousands by doing it ourselves. Check it out.

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday I am talking about finding your blogging voice – yes, even if that involves cussing in your blog posts. And on Wednesday, I am talking about what to do when you find money talk to be incredibly boring (as I do!).

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

26 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 24th of February”

1. I love the flooring!!! It looks awesome and who knew airstreams had so many corners 🙂 Looks like you all had fun time doing the project even with some hiccups along the way.

2. Love the floors too! We use vinyl planking in our rental units in the kitchens and bathrooms now. And we’re planning on using it and replacing carpet on the first floor units in all rooms when we need to replace carpets next time around! Not sure what happened to FinanciaLibre either? Looks like all accounts are gone. Have a great weekend!

Thanks Vicki. Yeah, vinyl is a good choice for a relatively inexpensive upgrade that looks very, very nice. Not too tough to lay, either…thankfully! 🙂

3. It looks great. We did wood plank snap in flooring on our last house. We did an entire floor, about 1000 sq feet. I like the tool you have for shaping the corners. We didn’t have such a tool, man it was a pain. When you look at an area you never expect there could be that many corners. We are planning on doing the basement in our new house. I expect it’ll be my wife’s project as the last one convinced us we do better doing these separately.

Yeah, that little tool we used helped a lot with the general outline, though we found that we needed to cut a little more off than the outline suggested. No biggie, it worked. Wood planks are nice, too. Easy enough to lay and makes a huge difference in the room.

4. TheRetirementManifesto says:

Hey Steve, thanks for the shoutout on my podcast interview with Jessica! GREAT to talk Personal Finance to her strong Millennial audience!!

5. Go Finance Yourself says:

Awesome job on the floors, Steve. They look great. Also, your boxer is a lot calmer than mine!

As always, thanks for compiling these posts. I really liked Mr. Tako’s post about always be failing. That’s an area where I struggle at times and have to always remind myself that it’s ok to fail and we usually learn more from our failures.

6. less4success says:

Hmm… You’re right, FinanciaLibre seems to have disappeared. Don’t see him on Twitter either 🙁

7. Thanks for the mention Steve! New flooring looks great, and I loved the video! One of your best yet!

8. I am so honoured to be mentioned by you!! Thank you so much for the shout out to my post/blog. Means a lot to us little people out here in the blogosphere 🙂

9. Frugal Desperado is a new one to me! I really identify with debt making you a different person. Mr. Picky Pincher and I were way more prone to arguments when we were underwater on our debt. Debt is incredibly stressful and many days it was all-consuming. We couldn’t cook a nice dinner because of debt, we couldn’t see a movie because of debt, and we definitely couldn’t take a weekend trip because of debt. These things aren’t necessary to have a good relationship, but they certainly make life more enjoyable without the shadow of debt over everything you do.

Glad that I could introduce you to a newer blog. And I agree, that kind of strife can definitely screw with a relationships. The added stress. It’s not easy!

10. Mrs. BITA says:

The floor looks really good. I love how begrudgingly your dog moved his paws out of the way for the tile. I thought that taping for painting was a pain in the butt, but your gadzillion weird corners are much, much worse than that.

Ha! Yeah, she was having none of it, though she does seem to like the new floors. She lays on them quite a bit…probably nice and cool for her. 🙂

11. Thanks for the mention, Steve! Love the video and seeing your new floors in the airstream. 🙂

So, now that you’re an early retiree, how do you respond to “What do you do, Steve?”

Thanks Michael! Honestly, I generally say either “I’m retired” or “I’m a blogger”. The retired bit gets a lot of surprise reactions. It generally depends on what kind of mood I’m in…and whether or not I have the patience to chat for a while at that moment! 🙂

12. careercrusader89 says:

Nice round up here team and great to read that you’ve changed up the airstream. Travelling in style now 😉
    You guys were epic busy with that there and darn those corners :O

13. MakinCents says:

Hi Steve – Im a bit late to the show but wanted to thank you for the mention! Congratulations on the early retirement, I look forward to reading your blog!