The Friday Feast ~ the 3rd of March

Published March 3, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Freedom Is Groovy, Reaching Our Balance, Studenomics, She Picks Up Pennies, Four Pillar Freedom, Self Employed Movement, The Financial Diet, Wallet Hacks, Darius Foroux and Go Curry Cracker.

readingWelcome to the end of another week. The Friday Feast is my opportunity to highlight some of the best personal finance content that I read during the week. Both old and new articles get mentioned here because I enjoy going through people’s posting archives.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, Freedom Is Groovy talks about the virtues of becoming an “Opportunity Slut“, and even highlights a couple of sluts in the post. When you talk of sluts, you have a damn good chance of getting featured here in the Feast!

And when it comes to dream homes, Retire Before Dad says that this one isn’t their dream home any longer!

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from Studenomics who writes that if you want your bank account to grow, you need to shut up.

We always learn more when we’re listening rather than talking. Absorbing information rather than disseminating it. This is the kind of tough-love article that I like to read, because it’s written by someone who doesn’t care whether they “offend” or not.

More from the personal finance community

She Picks Up Pennies discusses five financial “truths” that she doesn’t believe.

How important is your mindset in achieving Financial Independence? Four Pillar Freedom is on it.

Also, Self Employed Movement answers the question: What happens when you no longer worry about money.

Lastly, The Financial Diet did an all-cash, all-walking diet for a week. What do you think she learned?

Honorable mentions: Wallet Hack‘s first ever post about his financial mapDarius Foroux laments high expectations, and lastly, Go Curry Cracker wants fewer dividends.

Photo of the week

Last weekend, we took a trip out to the Sonoita wine vineyards here in southern Arizona. Beautiful country, and even more beautiful wine!  😉

Coming up in the week ahead on ThinkSaveRetire: On Monday I am talking about the devastating affect the credit scores can have, and on Wednesday, I am talking how every company that I’ve ever worked for has failed the Essentialism test.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

19 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 3rd of March”

1. Smart Provisions says:

Once again, another great list to introduce new bloggers into my blogroll. 🙂

How was the wine in the Sonoita Wine Vineyards? I’m not a wine expert and I’ve only been able to go do some wine tasting in Sonoma County, but I’m curious and interested in exploring other wineries and vineyards around the US.

• Smart Provisions says:

By blogroll, I mean my feedly blog aggregator that I use to keep up with other blogs.

Thanks Smart Provisions. Wine was delish! May have taken a bottle home with me to continue the enjoyment. Granted, my taste for wine isn’t as…refined…at some, but I can hold my own!

2. I am super intrigued by the Studenomics post if they are dropping lines like “You’re a broke joke because you’re always talking. You always have something to say.” Sounds awesome and really interesting. Thanks for sharing your highlights each week and Sonoita Wine Valley looks beautiful between the mountains.

3. Mr. Groovy says:

You mean I had you at slut? Thank you Steve, I’m very flattered. And I love watching your Airstream chronicles by the way.

• TheRetirementManifesto says:

What can we say, Steve’s an easy target for sluts? Loved that article, Mr. Groovy. Worthy of a shout out in Steve’s awesome Friday Feast, even if you had to stoop to new lows to get his attention! 🙂

You had me at slut, Mr. Groovy. 🙂 And appreciate you following our journey. Almost ready to set sail for good!

4. Steve,
    Thanks for the mention this week. Seems like you have already found your dream home in the Airstream. The new design looks great.
    -RBD

5. “Do first and then talk about it later when you actually have something to say.”

This is why I can’t get on the bandwagon where everyone is making their goals public online. I keep my goals very much to myself… at least until I’ve made some good headway. I’ve always been that way, but then I stumbled upon this talk by Derek Sivers recently: https://sivers.org/zipit2

It definitely reinforced this notion for me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, PP – we all have our own styles and ways of doing things. I don’t necessarily make all my goals public either…mostly because I tend to change my mind a lot! 😉

6. Oh maaaaan, I’m jealous of that vineyard trip. It looks freakin’ beautiful. 🙂 We have vineyards here in Texas but our soil makes super-sweet wines, which Mr. Picky Pincher hates. Oh well!

It was a nice trip, and we came back with a bottle to remember the experience by. We were surprised by how much of a wine country we have out here in Arizona when we first moved out here. Local wines…here? Gravy!

7. studenomics says:

Thanks for the link. Glad you liked the article!

8. jasonedwards57 says:

Thanks for including me in this list,