The Friday Feast ~ the 17th of March

Published March 17, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Two Cup House, Becoming Minimalist, High Fiving Dollars, Physician on Fire, Millennial Revolution, Hello Suckers, Montana Money Adventures, Reaching the Crest, Miss Mazuma, Our Next Life.

readingWelcome to the end of another week. The Friday Feast is my opportunity to highlight some of the best personal finance content that I read during the week. Both old and new articles get mentioned here because I enjoy going through people’s posting archives.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, a big congratulations to Claudia and Garrett from Two Cup House who officially became debt free!

And Becoming Minimalist wrote of the top five regrets of the dying. This might be the cure to the Just One More Year syndrome.

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from High Fiving Dollars who writes of money “frenemies” – or your so-called friends who cost you money.

We all have them. Admit it, you do. I do. We all do. “The important thing is knowing how to deal with them so you don’t go crazy. ”

Indeed. First, you gotta spot those suckers so you realize what’s going on. Anyone have a “Fear Of Missing Out” buddy? Perhaps a green-eyed monster? How about a mooch?

Fun read!

More from the personal finance community

Physician On Fire wrote a monster post about building a great blog.

Did you catch the case study from Millennial Revolution about someone who’s trapped in a $1.6 million crib?

Also, Hello Suckers takes on an interesting question…you know that 3 or 4% 401k match from your company? Is that really free money?

Lastly, Montana Money Adventures talks about the worst financial advice, ever!

Honorable mentions: Reaching the Crest talks about wanting lessMiss Mazuma recalls a lesson in judgment, and lastly, Our Next Life says replicate what you’re good at.

Video of the week

Why did we live for an entire year in our Airstream without really going anywhere?

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

24 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 17th of March”

1. I think that’s incrediblly smart about fixing up the Airstream before you left on your adventure. That way you could make any adjustments that you needed before you left. Plus who wants to fix things or renovate when you could be exploring things 🙂

Thanks MSM. Yup, our plan worked out well for us. Now, we feel like we’re setup to start traveling full-time with everything in order…at least, as “in order” as we can make it!

2. Go Finance Yourself says:

Thanks for sharing once again, Steve. I always enjoy these posts on Fridays. Opens me up to new blogs and a lot of great reading.

3. I think you made the right call adjusting to airstream life before setting out on heavy travel. Similarly to any change in life, it’s usually good to ease into it. We did something similar when my wife stopped working where we went without her pay for a few months. However, to be honest your version with the airstream is cooler.

Hehe, thanks FTF. Yeah, we definitely think we did this right. If anything, we gave ourselves too much time to get used to this new living arrangement, but no worries. Too much is better than not enough I suppose.

4. Ms. Montana says:

Thanks for the shout out! I can’t imagine how much different our life would have been if we had followed that advice. I’m sure we would still be at the 9-5 right now instead of free like a bird (well as a bird with 5 baby birds in the nest)!

5. I enjoyed POF’s post – made a lot of sense to me as I’m looking to build up some more credibility in the blogosphere. I’m almost done re-branding the site and re-working a few things. Should be a great rest of the year!

Thanks for sharing – loved the video as well 🙂

6. Miss Mazuma says:

I can’t believe you guys have been living in the Airtstream a year now! I can’t wait to read about your new adventures once she sets sail…or is Charlie a he? Either way…can’t wait!!

Thank you so much for including me in your Friday Feast this week. I almost forgot about my near hater experience! Also, I want to echo what Go Finance Yourself said and thank you for posting these round ups. I always find a new blog to check out. Since you are retired I’ll let you do the hunting while I feed off your finds. Great work!

I know…it totally doesn’t seem like an entire year, but it has been. Time flies, which is one of the reasons why we’re doing this. Life is short.

Appreciate the kind words regarding the Feasts! 🙂

7. Thanks, Steve! 🙂 Always appreciate your recaps, especially the post from Joshua Becker. We’ve been debating the healthcare situation and how long we’re going to let it impact our future decisions. Looking forward to hearing about your healthcare solution!

You’re very welcome, Claudia! I’ll be posting about healthcare on the week that we officially set sail from Tucson. Seems like the right time, eh?

8. wow, thanks for including my post! I had too many FOMO buddies in my lifetime 😉

9. SR says:

Really enjoy the videos. Please keep doing them. Can’t wait to see the posts once you start travelling. I’m living vicariously through you until I can “retire”. Thanks for sharing!

10. ReachingTheCrest says:

Thanks for the ‘honorable mention’. What a great suprise. Thanks

11. Love that you don’t remember the days and dates (in the end of the video) very well right now Steve! Envious of that! Sounds like Courtney is ready to move on now too! The countdown is on! Looking forward to learning more about your health care choices. (I read about what you’ve done – but looking forward to the explanations).

Hehe…yup, most of the time I’m clueless. My best indication of what day it is has a lot to do with the number of people in the RV park that we’re staying at. If it’s crowded, it’s probably a weekend. 🙂

12. Lots of great posts this week in the Friday Feast. Thanks for always finding such great new blogs Steve!